Date: November 14, 1999
Series: The 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ
Speaker: Ron R. Ritchie
|Listen to Ron's message (47 min)|
The Thessalonians were shaken by a rumor that the Day of the Lord had come and they had missed it. Paul encouraged them not to give into rumors. He then reviewed for them the order of events that must occur before the 2nd Visible Coming of Jesus which would be seen by the whole world: (1) The world wide political and religious apostasy will set the stage for (2) the appearance of the "man of sin" who was at that moment and currently (3) being restrained by the Holy Spirit through the Church of Jesus Christ. (4) In the meantime the persecution and affliction they were experiencing was a result of the "mystery of lawlessness" which was already at work in the world. However, a day is coming when (5) the "man of sin" will be revealed to the whole world, and Satan will be set free to use him to deceive all the nations until (6) the Lord Jesus will come and overthrow with the breath of his mouth. (2:5-12) Then Paul reviewed the joy of their salvation and the strength they had been given for good works and words. (2:13-17)
1. God has Chosen us for Salvation - 2 Thess.2:13-15
"But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter."
1. Are you honestly experiencing the "love of God" on a daily base? Explain!
2. Do you believe deep within your heart that you are a born again child of God? Explain!
3. Do you really understand that God has chosen you before the foundation of the world? Comment!
4. Have you ever had the privilege to lead someone to the Lord Jesus? What truths did you share with them so that they felt the need to invite Jesus to become their Lord and Savior?
2. God will Strengthen us for Good works / words - 2:16-17
"May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word."
1. Do you find yourself praying for other brothers and sister like Paul prayed for his spiritual family? Explain!
2. Do you depend daily on God giving you the power to do good works and fill your mind and lips to speak good words? Give a recent example!
Charles Haddon Spurgeon